List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] How to make a web site?
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-04-30 15:54:46

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 8:28:45 am orphem@arcor.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Quanta+ and so I have many, many questions. Quanta+ have
> docs, yes. But I haven't found any tutorial. So I need some tips, how to
> made a web site with this tool.

There are hundreds of ways, so we don't want to get into exploring them all
here. We have another list just for that, our web developer list. Look on the
web site.

> Normally we have PHP and a CMS. Here we include some pages and a menu
> were added automatically. But I want to make this off line. In the past
> I made web pages with web meta language. With this tool you have
> manuscripts. The real pages were *compiled* with a menu and other thinks.

So in other words it hid what it was doing from you and made you dependent on
it? You could certainly integrate Quanta into any number of scenarios but in
my experience what you're talking about is not compiled, it is generated.
Generated pages tend to ask for cookies multiple times and not create W3C
compliant markup, which means you go down in search engines.

> If I have - for example - a index.xhtml and a history.xhtml and wants a
> menu for this and other pages. How do I do this with Quanta?

You can use templates and scripting. Any files you have that work can be made
into templates easily and you might find my Kommander TemplateMagic
interesting. It enables you to create and fill in fields in templates.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Quanta+TemplateMagic?content=75759

> I like to have the link for the actual page inactive, but highlighted.
> And if i add a contact.xhtml, how can I have this link in the other
> pages automatically included? And is this possible without javascript?

If you use PHP you can easily do something like...
<?php include("menu.html") ?>
and now you make the menu once and by including it in every page they are all
automatically up to date.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module