List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Using abbreviations
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-17 22:34:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Let's keep the mails on the list...

On Thursday 17 April 2008, Brandon Sussman wrote:
> in Untitled1 (the first blank file), I typed ann(CTRL-J) - 4
> keystrokes.
Uh, sorry, first of all it is CTRL-SHIFT-J, or Edit->Expand
abbreviation.

Second:
>   <Template name="ann" code="/* @annotation BOS 2008 */"
> description="custom ann
>  </Group>

This looks weird, like Templat tag is not closed. I hope this was just a
copy/paste error.

And third, and this is the biggest problem: you assigned the
abbreviation to the empty DTEP. I never thought that this empty DTEP
could cause confusion, but I can now see that it does. The "valid for
all files" part of the DTEP name means that you can use this DTEP for
ANY type of file. It does not mean that all files are using this one,
just that you can assign to it to anything. It basically turns off the
parser, which is needed for unsupported languages. Trying to parse a
Perl or Python files makes no sense, this is where the empty DTEP is
used.
 Now, in the abbreviation dialog I can see that one might think that
assigning the abbreviation to the Empty DTEP would make it work for all
files, but that's not the case. It will work ONLY for those files that
have the current DTEP the "empty" one. Try to change the DTEP of your
current file to the empty one and the abbreviation should work.
So in order to have an abbreviation that works in all file types, you
have to assign it to ALL DTEPs listed there.

I hope it helps,
Andras