List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] flame risk
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-05-12 3:57:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I am assuming you cannot get your wireless network card to work, so you can
connect to a apache/php server in the "office"... if this is incorrect,
please indicate...

For learning php and html developement you want to setup your laptop to run
apache with php and probably mysql from the localhost (your laptop).

I quickly found a guide for setting this up on FreeBSD (your platform) using
google: (Query: freebsd apache mysql php)
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/14/installing-web-server-in-freebsd-60-with-apache-22-mysql-50-and-php-5-part-5/

There are others, and I do not use FreeBSD, so could not tell you how
accurate/easy the guide really is, but it looks ok, and you can probably get
help from the FreeBSD support channels (irc, mail-list, etc) and probably get
more help then the Quanta list in this regard...

Anyway, once you have your Apache and PHP setup on your laptop, just put your
php documents in your apache web root (perhaps /var/www/).  You can then use
your php applications by opening a browser and connecting to localhost:
http://localhost/

Hope this helps...
By the way... webdevelop questions probably belong on this list:
kdewebdev-webdeveloper@mail.kdewebdev.org.
as the quanta list is really for quanta specific questions....

wireless cards can be fun :-(.... with anything but windows (or maybe mac
osx)... Probably best to ask on the FreeBSD support channels, you are more
likely to get an answer there...

--
Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer