List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Trouble connecting to windows host
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-04 3:51:25

On Monday 26 February 2007 10:55 pm, jay@curlygurl.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologise but I am a newbie to both Quanta and linux. I am having trouble
> connecting to my windows hosting account from Quanta.
>
> When I create a new project, choose ftp, put in my username, password etc,
> after clicking finish it says it can't open the project file and closes the
> unsaved project.
>
> It works fine with my linux hosting accounts and the username and passwords
> are the same so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Tempting though it may
> be to suggest that I should ditch the windows account in favour of the
> linux one please understand that I have to use it for work and I am trying
> to set up things so I can do some work from home! ;o)
>
> I can ftp straight from my browser and it worked fine from Nvu. I tried
> setting things up as a local project and then used the insert files option
> to get a copy of the files from my site and that worked but of course I
> still couldn't upload anything using quanta. I like using quanta but I
> don't want to have to manually ftp everything.
>
> Any advice to point me in the right direction would be great.
>
> Cheers,
> Jay

Quanta uses KDE's KIO slaves. BTW I've ranted here many times this is a poor
an unwise use of FTP which was made to share files among universities. It
sends your passwords in clear text so you should change passwords frequently
as you're only keeping honest people out.

There could be some problem with settings, or you could have a very poorly
configured server. For the zillionth time... FTP has a protocol for hand
shaking, but most Windows clients don't bother to write code that clean. They
simply dump all the packets in and hope they get there. You can confirm
operation because Konqueror uses the same KIO slaves so you can use it just
like Quanta. If you have the address correct and both fail, but other FTP
clients work it's possible you have one of two things...
1) A bug with KDE FTP KIO - in theory these should be fixed
2) A poorly configured server where the hand shaking is either incredibly slow
or turned off.

You might check with the admin.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader