List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] File extensions, toolbars and auto-completion
From:       Don Harden <harden () gsu ! edu>
Date:       2006-11-16 17:12:01

Hi Andrew,

You are correct to point out the potential security issues with using
.inc files.   That is why I never put .inc files under DocumentRoot (for
apache).   Instead I put include files somewhere in my include_path
which is outside of  DocumentRoot.  I did have an occasion when a
student assistant put some include files under DocumentRoot.  That's why
I now also have  this in httpd.conf

#
# The following lines prevent .inc files from being viewed by Web clients.
#
<Files ~ "\.inc$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

Thanks for reminding us about security pitfalls with PHP include files.

Don Harden

--
Don Harden                       harden@Gsu.EDU
Department of Chemistry          564 NSC