List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-17 20:13:23

On Sunday 17 September 2006 1:41 am, Onno Timmerman wrote:
> I was wondering:

Well that's bound to lead to trouble. ;-)

> How many developers are working on quanta.

We have had several developers doing a small amount of work off and on but by
far our largest volunteer effort is Jens Herden. Andras Mantia does most of
the coding. Michal Rudolf has done some but mostly works on Kommander.
(Andras does a little with Kommander too.) My involvement is primarily in the
form of design and direction oversight. I manage the project setting feature
goals. I will be doing some coding in the coming weeks, but other than
aKademy I rarely have time to code except in January and Februrary. I plan to
code more if possible.

We have a number of people subscribed to the developer list. After years of
managing the project and seeing how difficult it is to integrate new
developers and manage a project I've come up with a new idea to facilitate
this through the developer section of our web site. I'll be working on that
at aKademy. The relatively few active developers should not be a major
concern. The actual editor part is developed by the Kate team. The new
framework is developed in conjunction with the KDevelop team. That's a dozen
developers there. There are other places where we utilize object oriented
programming, like KHTML for the preview. One issue right now is we seem to
need a developer on VPL, but we have at least a few people working on
integrating the KHTML back end so 1-2 part time developers would do it there.

> How fast is quanta making
> progress?

Fast. Right now we're in process to integrate with KDevelop and move to KDE 4
which is not a stable platform yet, but Jens and Andras have had a hacking
session at Andras' place and we will all get to meet with the KDevelop team
in a week in Dublin. Quanta is fairly mature and it will inherit a lot of
mature features from KDevelop, like better handling of other languages like
Javascript, Python and Ruby. It will also be able to use any plugin that
KDevelop does and vice versa.

> What will be new in Quanta 4 ?

I'm not really going to answer that in depth. I think after aKademy we can
better answer as so far as I know we don't even have a date for KDE 4. It's
just barely become somewhat stable enough to build and test and it's by no
means feature locked. I will offer a short list...
1) Completion and enhancement of Team development features
2) SVN support (from KDevelop)
3) core improvements
4) hopefully finally my implementation of Object templates, though much of
this will be done using Kommander

There's going to be a lot more. It's just at this time we haven't got a handle
on the full list and I hope that as a team we come up with a lot more
creative ideas that are radical, inspired and exciting... Of course on top of
our existing mature architecture.

> How many proffesional users does quanta have.

I hope to answer this through some functionality I plan to add to the site to
register users offering enhanced benefits to registered users. One can
consider that professional users would be contract developers, professionals
maintaining commercial sites and small business people like myself (who used
to be a contract programmer) and as a whole we make up some percentage of
total users. My guess is most users fall into this category. Back in 2001
when we were not yet part of KDE we were on sourceforge. This was at the end
of KDE 1 and into KDE 2. We Joined KDE in early KDE 3. In the early
sourceforge days we ranked as high as number 5 in 50,000 projects at the time
in activity. We saw source downloads in excess of 30,000 per release. I
suspect that somewhere between 1 in 10 and 1 in 25 users will even consider
building from source, so before we were part of the official KDE packages we
probably had over a quarter million users. This was when we were little more
than an HTML editor with a preview and tag dialogs. Fast forward with
exposure to millions of users in KDE and the large growth the Linux desktop
has seen and it's difficult to say we would not have at least a few million
users.

All I'm really sure of is if every professional user of Quanta were to kick in
what he spends on lunch on a good day once a year we would have several more
full time developers working on VPL, advanced XML, Flash/SVG tools and more.
Right now we have around two dozen people who have taken on sponsorship from
a few dollars to a few hundred dollars a month. I would love to have 1% of
our professional users assume a small sponsorship role. Quanta is so complex
right now it's very difficult to get casual part time programmers productive,
though I will try with anyone who volunteers. It's just a lot easier to find
someone living where the cost of living is a fraction what it is in the US
and Western Europe and for what a half dozen of us spend on fully loaded
monthly TV packages on satellite or cable sponsors a dedicated and talented
developer full time. I've got developers telling me to let them know when I
can sponsor them. I just don't have enough people who think it's worth paying
for free software. I guess they're more into free as in beer because they
would be hard pressed to find a better development package for $500.

> Could there be a comparing chart between
> Quanta, Eclipse, Textmate, phpEdit etc...
>
> Onno

By all means feel free to make one and send it in. IIRC Eclipse uses a lot of
Java and most of our users prefer native programs. Comparing to Eclipse is
difficult because it's so diverse, but in that regard they seem way ahead if
you do Java and I have been told we are better for PHP. Still they have
massive development resources. I'm not familiar with Textmate. phpEdit is the
package with Apache and Mysql installed that uses the debugger developed by
the Russian guy, right? That has really no advantage to speak of other than
having all those things working out of the box, but it's a huge download.
Another one to compare is the Zend offering, which I'm told we are better
than in many ways but lack a little.

Our focus has been PHP and XML and in that regard it's very difficult to find
another tool that can even stand up next to us. My personal focus is
efficient interface design and powerful professional level features. We
already smoke Dreamweaver in most areas, falling behind only in visual design
maturity and some small things they have done. By KDE 4 we will have hands
down the ultimate team development features. We already have the ability to
emulate nearly any other tool with Project Event Actions. By integrating more
functionality and KStuff we will make integration with inferior tools more
seamless in package downloads.

If we can release Object Templates we will offer the first new development
paradigm in web design since the now lame and barely usable WYSIWYG. Instead
of visually designing one page with extremely limited HTML hacks for PHP
includes passing as object reuse you would be able to visualize your entire
site and manipulate your defined elements, styles, content, etc... by defined
set logic and you would be able to define rules for interaction to be carried
out by your base file mediator... In simple terms you would be relieved of
the massive amount of drudge work and be able to manipulate objects on a
conceptual level triggering a rebuild of your site. All this would be gained
through innovative changes in work flow and just doing your normal work over
time creating your objects as a side benefit and without substantial front
end time investment. Nobody has anything like this... that is without
subscribing to their world view on how to organize and create objects. This
will be the first attempt I know of to create powerful templating management
according to your world view and with just a little nudge or our best seeding
of frameworks, as well as the ability to share frameworks and tools among our
entire user base.

In short, I don't think there is anything like Quanta and by KDE 4 if I have
anything to say about it you will be able to show your friends and tell them
they are just crazy and working too hard if they are not using it. ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org