List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Summer of Code 2006
From:       "Aaron D. Campbell" <quanta () ezdispatch ! com>
Date:       2006-04-26 14:34:02

Bèr Kessels wrote:> I have added a bullet to the wiki : PHP IDE. Ive tried to \
summarize my ideas, > but would like to post here, that it came from me, in case \
people want to > discuss it, or need more information.>> Unfortunately my C++ skills \
are fubar, so I cannot step up as mentor in this. >> In a nutshell, the idea is to \
allow, Quanta to transform into a full blown > PHP/Python/RubyonRails etc IDE. This \
would be achieved via some profile, or > even a howto, together with some new \
plugins/toolbars etc. Finding out how > exactly to tackle this, wold be part of the \
assignment. :)>> Why? You can edit PHP now already?> Sure! but it is a web editor, \
HTML editor, that can ALSO do PHP (or other > embedded scripting langs) editing. > If \
you develop ruby on rails, or Drupal, or Joomla, one is not interested in > all that \
HTML toolstuff. You might sometimes need to embed some HTML into > your code, but \
that is about all HTML you will ever touch. >> Bèr> \
go ahead and voice my vote for this one.  I, like Bèr, am no C++ Programmer, but I \
DID leave Quanta for Zend.  Quanta actually has some things that are BETTER than \
Zend, but I needed something focused more on PHP.  Here are the things that are \
important to ME (your mileage will vary):* PHP 5 support.  Support for the new \
functions, new syntax coloring, new class styles, etc.* Understand included files.  \
This means understanding the include path ( include('page.php'); can actually include \
'/includes/page.php').  Make sure that Quanta would recognize the variables etc in \
the includes/requires as existing in the whole page.* Code hinting.  Not just for \
built-in functions, but for user defined functions too (offer the function names, as \
well as showing their parameters).  Make sure this includes functions defined in \
includes (see above), and works with class functions.* Variable hinting.  Again, \
working with included files and classes.  I love typing $c, and getting a list of \
$co_name, $co_city, $co_state, etc.  This should offer super globals too ($_GET, \
$_POST, $_SERVER, $_SESSION, $_ENV, $_COOKIE, $_FILES, $_REQUEST, $GLOBALS).  For \
most of these,  they should be treated as associative arrays, offering previously \
used indices.  However, the $_SERVER variable should list all available options (by \
available I mean in the PHP manual...not avialable on your particular install).* \
Classes...I touched on them above, but if I do $cust = new Customer($my, $params);  \
then later when I do $cust->  I should get a list of both vars AND methods available \
in that class.* I rarely actually use the debugger in Zend (which I actually really \
like), but I LOVE the way it underlines bad code in red (similar to ow spell checkers \
do this in almost any program).* Handle HEREDOC well.  I find that a LOT of 'php \
editors' do not handle this well.  Syntax coloring should be like that of a double \
quoted string, and syntax coloring below should NOT be affected. Anyway, that's what \
I would like to see.  Using a java client (Zend) gets on my nerves.  I know Zend is \
expensive too, and since I can't do any of the programming, I'd be MORE than happy to \
help out where I can.   can explain, or even make flash videos (using Captivate) of \
                how Zend functions in certain situations.
-- Aaron D. CampbellIT ManagerEZ Dispatch