List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] We need sponsorship help!
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-25 20:56:51

Hi all,
Sorry to have been inactive on the list for a while. I will be much more
active soon. Right now we have a pressing need for funding. Several
circumstances bring this up. For one, we have had six (6) donations this year
outside of our sponsorships. For another I have been ordered to bed rest by
my doctor and have not been able to make up the difference. The new funds
transfering mechanism we use limits how much I can pay Andras every month so
I need to get more funding before the end of the month. As a final note it's
my birthday monday. I turn 49 (shudder) and that's pretty much on hold due to
illness and doctor bills. To add to my sadness our best efforts were unable
to prevent the untimely death of Max, our oldest cat, who died just after
midnight the first day of spring. You can see Max at http://kittyhooch.com.
The address below is where you can make a difference.

http://kdewebdev.org/donate.php

If you would like a little more personal information read on. Some of you know
this time 2 years ago I became ill with what appeared to be typhus but by the
time all the tests were in I tested negative. Late last year my dentist said
my blood pressure was too high for a dental cleaning. When it happened again
this year I went to see my doctor who promptly sent me to the emergency room.
After a few hours I was sent home with a prescription and I went back to my
doctor, a naturopath, and we set up a nutritional regimen along with a
mandate for bed rest. I bought a blood pressure monitor and now I believe
that I suffer from "white coat syndrome". My blood pressure measures
substantially higher in a doctors office. So it's not like I'm minutes away
from a heart attack or stroke, but it's still in the risk zone. Prior to this
I had gotten too busy to go to the gym last year and I had trouble with
concentration and stress. In the last month I started getting headaches,
which I never had before, and I was not able to do much work or deal with
much stress. For this reason I stopped reading a lot of my mail but I had
problems sleeping which contribute to things. In retrospect I felt wonderful
after aKademy last year and within two weeks of getting home I felt like I
needed a vacation. After a week and a half under my doctors care I'm feeling
better. I can concentrate to program for an hour or two at a time whereas I
was finding it difficult for 30 minutes after which I had a headache and
could not continue.

The outlook for my health is good. It's possible I'm suffering from something
known as "syndrome X" where a collection of numbers spiral out of control by
feeding back upon each other. In such a case normalizing these numbers
neutralizes the problem. No matter what I know I have no internal damage and
a competent doctor committed to a nutritional approach to my health. It's
just a matter of time. The objective is a non prescription result.

The down side to this has been the additional stress of this year. We are
forced to relocate part of our business and since it's seasonally sensitive
there is a great deal of urgency. If all goes as we hope it will we will see
10-20 times more raw materials for a several fold increase in income. I can
use that to expand my role in free software development because it's a cause
a believe in. I hardly expect our users to support my business, but at this
time I think it's important my business not risk it's ability to better
support my family and this project. I need our users to help me at this time.

There are several things we're trying to get done that will be exciting for
Quanta as well as Kommander. Obviously it's been difficult for me to do my
part. I hope to see that change as my health improves. Along with this Andras
and also Michal have additional expenses and responsibilities coming their
way. It's important to me to be able to create a better mechanism to fund
their work. That will require me to have time and money and I'm working on
that. For now if you could help me to get Andras paid up on time and maybe
have something left over to celebrate getting even older that would be great.

Thanks again to all who have contributed and wished us well.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org