List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] PHP Indenting
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-15 9:52:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:29, Marko McLion wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:05, Andras Mantia wrote:
>
> Sorry Andras, but as of your writing somebody would think, that you
> don't use Quanta for PHP at all and neither does nobody that develops
> it. OK,

You are not that wrong. I am a C++ coder, and I write Quanta for the
users. I use it for PHP only a little and I don't expect things like
indentation at that time (nor do I expect from a C++ editor, I do it
myself).

> Kate is guilty for the faulty indentation of PHP. Their
> effort is on C, Java and such. But they have developed a system as I
> understand that in theory could enable this type of indentation in
> PHP (works in C/C++ and Java)...
>
> Why nobody writes this thing/extension/whatever it is for the Kate
> part and puts it in Quanta?

Good question. But this is open source. As I don't know anything about
the indentation system of Kate, I cannot do it better than any of you.
You can contact the kate developers just like I could and ask for help
if needed. If anybody does an indentation for PHP I'm sure either they
will include in Kate or we can offer to download, that's not a problem.
Just that somebody has to do it.

> Your answer (and of many developers, I mean no offence) is like "we
> make the car, the tires are from another company, please contact the
> company why with this tires our car does not run"... It's an
> essential part, you have chosen it, you're using it, you have to know
> how to make them work...if you don't, who will?

The makers of the tire. ;-) You know, this is the beauty of KDE. You can
use parts that you don't know much about them. Do I care how the
network transparency work? Do I care how the editor itself is
implemented? Do I care how the CVS part (Cervisia) work? No, and I
don't have to. (The fact that I know some of the things from here is
different and not relevant). And also do I have to know how the C++
compiler works? I use them and that's all. And this separation makes
things easier and let us grow faster by focusing only to our job and
not something else.
As I know the parts used in Quanta itself, I can guide anyone to the
right place where the problems can be solved. Now I said, that the Kate
developers can help you and you can reach here and here. I don't think
it is a big difference with talking with them instead of me. Oh, there
is a big difference: they know their code, while I don't know theirs.

I hope you can understand the logic and you don't find my answer(s)
arrogant.

Andras