List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Popup: "The file was changed outside of the Quanta
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-18 10:13:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 18 November 2005 01:32, David Powell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just upgraded to Mandriva 2006 (and along with that, Quanta
> 3.4.2). I'm getting a strange and annoying popup message whenever I
> edit a file I have recently saved.  So, for instance:
>
> 1. I open a file, make some changes, then save the file
>
> 2. I go back to the file, begin to make some changes and as soon as I
> start typing, a message pops up saying "The file was changed outside
> of the Quanta editor".

It doesnt happen here with Quana 3.4.2 from Suse or with 3.5 from
source.

> The strange thing is, I have not made any changes, outside of Quanta
> to the file.  Something else must be running in the background that
> is doing something to the file which causes a change, but I can
> assure you, I only have the file open in quanta.
It might be some deamon. Quanta gets the notice from KDE that the file
was touched. So something IS touching the file.

> "If you've got FAM running, disable it. ... I think turning of famd
> on my system helped a bit though."
>
> I don't have FAM running on either the Mandriva desktop (where quanta
> is running) or the Debian server (where the files are stored).

Do you have another file monitoring deamon instead of FAM (I don't know
the name, but there are some others as well)?

> However, on the debian 3.1 server on which the files are stored (I
> access them via samba)

I think samba is the problem. For some reason it might send a delayed
signal that the file was modified. I can imagine the following:
- you save the file
- you start to type
- only at this point samba notifies Quanta that the file was changed
(when you saved it).
- Quanta compares as a security meassure (exactly to avoid false alarms)
the file on the disk with the file in the buffer and it is different,
so it warns you

Try the following:
1) - save the file
    - wait a little and only type aftwewards
2) work on local files (not mounted shares) and  see if it happens or
not
3) try Quanta from 3.5RC1. It has a new method to detect if the file was
changed for real or not and this might be exactly what is needed.
4) try to find out if samba can be fine tuned to send notifications
immediately or to not send as all (as a workaround).

Andras