List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Popup: "The file was changed outside of the Quanta editor"
From:       David Powell <davidpowell () aanet ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-11-17 23:32:39

Hi All,

I've just upgraded to Mandriva 2006 (and along with that, Quanta 3.4.2).
 I'm getting a strange and annoying popup message whenever I edit a file
I have recently saved.  So, for instance:

1. I open a file, make some changes, then save the file

2. I go back to the file, begin to make some changes and as soon as I
start typing, a message pops up saying "The file was changed outside of
the Quanta editor".

I'm given the option of:
a) using the version from the disk (so I loose the character or two I typed)
b) not loading the modified version from the disk.

The strange thing is, I have not made any changes, outside of Quanta to
the file.  Something else must be running in the background that is
doing something to the file which causes a change, but I can assure you,
I only have the file open in quanta.  If I choose to use the version
from the disk, there are no changes to the files other than what I saved
in step 1 above.

This problem was also raised on this list back in May.  The only answer
I could find that might point to a solution said:

"If you've got FAM running, disable it. ... I think turning of famd on
my system helped a bit though."

I don't have FAM running on either the Mandriva desktop (where quanta is
running) or the Debian server (where the files are stored).

However, on the debian 3.1 server on which the files are stored (I
access them via samba) I use SVN as my version control system.  AFAIK
though that doesn't make any changes to the files that I would edit, but
to it's own files within the .svn folder.  Besides, running ps -aux
doesn't show any svn (or fam) apps running in the background.

So I'm missing something here.  Can anyone give any clues?

Ta,

David