List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Download Ability
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-14 2:12:13

On Thursday 13 October 2005 11:51 am, Steve Veltkamp wrote:
> The solutions other have posted here are appreciated, but I think this
> should be a feature for Quanta. I'm not a programmer, but it would seem to
> be do-able for a utility to:
>
> 1. Check filesize and timestamp on remote server
> 2. Download file if newer before editing.

Heh, you obviously don't know how much grief and how many bandwidth issues
we've already dealt with. It would seem like the current upload capability
was easy, but it was not, especially given the diverse circumstances we have
to support in our user base.

Ironically anybody with any moderate bash scripting skills or a local install
of Perl, PHP or other language, could easily write a file open project action
to do just what you're describing. We've got the new KStuff respository where
we can put it in use. So somebody who is not a programmer and would actually
use this functionality can add it.

I personally won't be developing or testing it because I won't be using it.
It's a simple policy that keeps our software good. We get people who use
features involved in the test and development and we don't work on things we
won't be doing a good job on. We want every part of our application suite so
shine.

> Especially given Quanta's Quick Upload capability - which is great BTW.
>
> As mentioned, CVS is ideal for development, but not for webmaster service.
> Hosted clients have a right to edit their own sites - and I provide
> scripts such as htmlarea that allow them to do it. When I need to change
> things on their site though, it takes quite a bit of extra time to
> manually download each page before editing it.

It should be easy enough to do this with a script. For that matter everything
in the project files is in XML. However key to this is that those files are
in XML and on the server, so if you have other editing tools in play the
first thing that needs to be done is to run a server side script to update
this anyway. Some of this we are working on for version 4.

> I've tried to use sitecopy - and maybe I'm missing something, but it seems
> much more complex to do than steps one and two above. I'll keep looking at
> this..

I haven't used it, but if it's like most programs with a command line
interface you can easily create actions in Quanta or create Kommander dialogs
to simplify your options. Things in Quanta can take a little more initial
time investment and save huge amounts of effort over the long term.

I would also mention that we have a real funding need and are open to
consulting. If you would like to sponsor a feature or contract a custom setup
please email me personally. There's an answer to every problem and in many
cases if we can get a clear picture of your needs we can provide a service
that is cost effective compared to pulling your hair out trying to learn a
lot of things all at once. Because we have sponsored developers we can be
more flexible with funding issues.

--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org