List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Installing Quanta 3.4.1
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-29 21:28:42

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 1:25 pm, Jerry Smith wrote:
> Well, I assumed that since it downloaded in tar format I would have to
> compile. I do have the Quanta version that came with Mandriva 10.2, but
> that Quanta is an older version. I'm been trying to update to the
> latest. I am a real neophyte at Linux; meaning I don't know what the
> hell I'm doing, but I'm determined to learn. If I can install this via
> rpm, how do I do that? I didn't see a rpm download option. I'll have to
> take another look.
> Jerry

You should be able to find RPMs of the latest version either at your
distribution homepage or possibly through the download section at kde.org. As
far as compiling from source goes, if you have the source and it was packaged
then you should definitely have a configure file. I know this seems silly,
but if you are new to Linux, are you sure you're in the right directory? Use
pwd
at the prompt to confirm. You can also open a console from a konqueror window
in that directory from the tools menu. From there your success at compiling
the first time will depend on how many components your distribution left off
under the assumption you would not be compiling. Typically these are just
library files and once you get your first program compiled then it is a walk
in the park to compile any program... the grief of getting past what is left
out only happes once.

In any case you will be rewarded with the most productive web development
environment anywhere so hang in there. ;-) More information on all things
Linux can be found at The Linux Documentation Project - http://tldp.org.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org