List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Preliminary FAQ
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-22 20:45:58

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 09:45 am, Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 22. Februar 2005 16:38 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> > On Tuesday 22 February 2005 17:16, H. McManus wrote:
> > > ok, well and good, but we need to put this meta-faq somewhere. Who
> > > has access to the kdewebdev site? I'd like to submit 2faq for
> > > publication :)
> >
> > I have. Send me the FAQ's and I will integrate it, and when we decide
> > who works on what on the site, I we will publish.
>
> I agree totally to the intention to centralize all these
> faqs/howtos/whatever out there on kdewebdev.org.
> with respect to the layout/possible user intervention there are several
> possibilities like wikis, forums and so on, each of which has it's own
> advantages and drawbacks.
> I think I'll just send my gubed howto and wait how things will turn out :)
>
> werner

FAQs follow the traditional paradox of docs. If it's easy to find things in
it's not comprehensive. If it's comprehensive it's hard to find things in and
it's almost certainly got a lot of outdated stuff.

This will all be handled on the kdewebdev.org site, which I am managing. FAQs
will eventually be kept either in XML or a database. Typical FAQs list a long
list of links and then a long page. This is difficult to maintain, impossible
to filter and can be ineffective to search unless you know what you're
looking for. By using a standard XML format we can group FAQs by area and
centrally access them. This makes maintenance easier. We can also set
keywords and we can use XSLT to render the results consistently. Another
thing that can be done is to flag items for review as well as item
maintainer. This means version upgrades can trigger an email for someone to
review their submission. ;-)

Anyone interested in being involved check with the site list.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.sourceforge.net  sequitur@kde.org