List:       publib
Subject:    mascot
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-01-07 17:12:20

Sender: Mark Willis <com_mark@DAYTON.LIB.OH.US>

Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library has a wonderful mascot.  His
name is C. R. Raccoon ("Curious Reader") and has been with us for about
a dozen years.  He was dreamed up by a committee of children's
librarians then brought to life by our artist. We have used his likeness
on Summer Reading Club brochures, t-shirts, cushions, posters and
stickers, etc.  We purchased a raccoon costume nine years ago (about
$900 from a local costume shop) and it's been extremely popular.  We put
a size XXX C. R. t-shirt on him and covered it with reading buttons.  He
appears at library events, parades, schools, hockey games, etc.   Kids
run up and hug him and really seem to enjoy him.  A word of caution -
some toddlers are afraid of him.  Generally they are fine if he doesn't
advance on them but the occasional screaming child seems inevitable.  He
doesn't speak and sometimes has trouble seeing so we generally have a
human accompany him.  He get very hot sometimes so 45 min. to an hour is
usually his maximum.  You can see a drawing of him at
http://dayton.lib.oh.us/www/local_resources.html.

We also have walking books which we first used during our levy campaign
a few year ago.  They are simply large laminated cardboard "books" with
a place for your head and feet to stick out.  During the levy they had a
"vote for us" message and afterward we replaced it with titles such as
picture book, song book, and dictionary.  Great in parades or just
standing around to attract attention for a book sale.  Our artist made
these. There only drawback is that they are bulky and hard to transport
because they don't fold.

Our deputy director also appeared as Johnny Appleseed simply by putting
a pot on his head, wearing jeans and taking off his shoes but I'm not
sure I want to brag about that.

--
Mark Willis
Community Relations Manager