List:       publib
Subject:    mascot
From:       plib2 () sunsite ! berkeley ! EDU (PUBLIB)
Date:       1998-01-08 22:07:03

Sender: Ray Vignovich <RV5271S@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Mascot

I worked for many years at a library that had a grizzly bear as a mascot
in the childrens area.  It was called gabby and any one stepping on a
pressure-sensitive mat in front of the bear would get a message welcoming
them to the library.  The Friends group gave the bear to the library
and they were extremely proud of him.

Of course the only grizzly bear figure available was this fierce looking
figure about 6 feet tall.  Its teeth were clearly visible.  It appeared
to be growling and ready to attack.  Many children were very frightened
of it, and the library had many complaints -- but the Friends group
couldn't accept the idea that they had made a bad choice, so Gabby
greated horrified patrons for over a decade.  Eventually it was moved to
a storage area where it probably still resides.

This situation is a good example of how good intentions don't always
succeed.  The library's staff had expressed their concerns on this bear
figure prior to its purchase, but the Friends group bought it anyway and
made the library accept it.

We all want strong willed library supporters because they will fight
hard for their libraries, but those very same people can have expectations
that are not in a library's best interests.  I would bet that all of us
have been in this type of situation.  Deciding if we should make the
right choice and offend a valuable supporter(s) or accepting their
will and living with the consequences.  What's Solomon's e-mail address?

Ray Vignovich
rv5271s@acad.drake.edu