List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: How to allow email clients to add and edit  entries
From:       Peter Schober <peter.schober () univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2005-08-30 9:34:33

hi,

* Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer@videotron.ca> [2005-08-22 00:51]:
> Ivan Carey wrote:
> > What method do I use to allow Outlook 2002 and Thunderbird and Mozilla to
> > edit and add entries on the LDAP server.
>
> AFAIK, Thunderbird/Mozilla can't add contact in an LDAP directory.  I
> don't think Outlook can either.
>
> Actually, I know of no email client or PIM that can edit or add entries
> directly into LDAP.  If someone know of one, let us know too !

thanks to Daniel Marczisovszky Squirrelmail now has a plugin that works as a
generic database backend (starting from a backend template by Tomas Kuliavas),
so no changes are needed to SM's UI (quite unlike most other plugins).
http://daniel.marczisovszky.hu/projects/squirrelmail/ldap_abook_backend/

you can configure just about anything wrt objectclasses, attributes, where
it end's up in you DIT, etc. to my knowledge that makes it the first completely
configureable MUA with full LDAP write support (even though it's webbased).

Daniel also created a generic config backend for SM that stores settings in
LDAP, based on the work of Alexandros Vellis of UoA, Greece:
http://email.uoa.gr/projects/squirrelmail/

cheers,
-p.schober

--
peter.schober@univie.ac.at - vienna university computer center
Universitaetsstrasse 7, A-1010 Wien, Austria/Europe

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [ldap@progressive-comp.com]