List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Kate versions after 3.85 more effectively handle updating syntax highlight files?
From:       "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn () forestfield ! org>
Date:       2014-06-14 19:48:40

Background: I'm using Kate 3.85 right now on GNU/Linux with KDE 4.8.5. I
realize this is out of date, but since I don't have access to something
updated I thought I'd ask about syntax highlighting file handling.

Issue: In Kate 3.85 when I select Settings -> Configure..., then pick
"Editor Component" -> Open/Save in the Configure panel, and then pick
the "Modes & Filetypes" tab I can download updated highlighting files by
clicking the "Download Highlighting Files..." button and then clicking
"Install".

In practice installing new syntax highlighting files fails because I am
not running Kate with permission to update the system-wide installed
syntax highlight files. Kate's installer silently fails and I'm left
with old syntax highlighting files; the installer appears to always have
newer syntax highlighting files to offer, files it can never truly install.

I'm reluctant to run Kate with sufficient permissions to update these
syntax highlighting files because doing so will put the appropriate
package(s) that installed these files out of sync with the metadata
described in the package. It's not clear to me what issues I'll create
by updating the syntax highlighting files outside the package manager.
Making updated packages for the new syntax highlighting files is beyond
the scope of what users can be reasonably expected to do, and doesn't
really scale up when one considers more users using Kate or any program
that builds on Katepart.

Is there a better way of handling this issue in Kate versions beyond
Kate 3.85? If so, what is that approach?

If there is not a better approach for handling this issue, have you
considered loading syntax highlighting files from two locations -- the
extant system-wide directory and a user-specific directory where the
user is likely to be able to write updated files?

Ultimately, I'd like to store and use updated syntax highlighting files
without disturbing the packaging used for updating the system. I'd like
to use the "Download Highlighting Files..." button on the aforementioned
Configure panel without creating conflicts for my system's packaging.