List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    KTextEditor Plugins: Multiple Main Windows
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhaumann () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-12-23 11:40:37

On Sunday 22 December 2013 17:49:22 Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> > At least the multi-screen thing is what comes up from time to time for
> > kdevelop, as a feature request.
>
> Yeah,
>
> thats the question, how it is used and how often.

The solution to multiple main windows imo is pretty simple.

The current understanding of multiple main windows is that each main window
provides a full-fledged main window, i.e. with all sidebars etc.
For KDevelop this means that each tool view exists twice etc. Same for Kile.
However, I doubt very much this is what a users needs.

Instead, the solution is as simple as to provide a "Detach" action.
This way, one is able to move a View to another screen (or in KDevelop e.g. a
documentation view). Detach will just create a small window and put the Views
XmlGui inside it or similar - this is application dependent or course.

Then, a View (or the KDevelop documentation view) is simply a minimal window
with just that information.

This is also valid for Kate:
1. drop support for multiple main windows
2. add support to detach a view (or an entire KateViewSpace), so it's a
   standalone window (in a KXmlGui window).

Same applies to KDevelop, Kile and all other apps.
So the KTextEditor plugins would be extended to support tool views, but only
exactly one toolview is created, never two of the same type due to multiple
mainwindows.

Do we agree on that? - If so, this is already settled.

Greetings,
Dominik