List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Kwin direct rendering disabled on ATI
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-01 13:19:28

I'm taking this over to kwin-devel where it's not that OT and you can
still have it a bug report.

Am 01.04.2011, 14:16 Uhr, schrieb Bogdan Maxim <hazica@googlemail.com>:

> Regarding your suggestions, none seem to work. Forcing direct rendering
> with
> KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 does enable direct rendering but it makes the desktop
> virtually unusable.
yes, see bug #219178 (apparently pretty known...)

> Restarting compositing doesn't do anything, the situation doesn't change
so rather no leak in kwin.

> Now the question is, where do I post the bug?  Is it X-related?
That's the question. You should first figure your performance issues.
In general, if you want dri support, the radeon driver seems the way to go.
In particular you'll have to determine the source of the performance issue.
a) sharpen the "bad performance" term. Is it on certain effects (liek
present windows, cover flow etc.) or in general (laggy scrolling etc.)
b) monitor your cpu load, identify sucking processes
c) use the "show paint" plugin to identify screen regions with high update
rate* (this will cause some onscreen flicker, be careful if you suffer
   from epilepsy etc.)
d) because of the time driven occurrence, have a look at the RAM usage in
xrestop (X11 resources) and top (press shift+m to sort by memory)
f) If you've high cpu load when this issue occurs you can use sysprof (an
online kernel level profiler) to trace the cpu usage of the running system.

> Also, when you say "use the Xorg driver. Seriously" are you referring to
> the open Radeon driver?
Yes.

> Cause that has bad performance too. Rather similar to fglrx, a bit worse.
All reports i've heard so far indicated the opposite, i don't know
personally.

Cheers,
Thomas

==== COMPLETE ORIGINAL MESSAGE ======================

Sorry for bothering you with menial problems, I tried the kde forum, the
irc
channels as well as my distro's forum and couldn't get any information AT
ALL.
In order to file a bug report I thought I first had to pinpoint  the
component
that is malfunctioning, so this mailing list was basically the last
resort. I
did not mean to misuse it.

Regarding your suggestions, none seem to work. Forcing direct rendering
with
KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 does enable direct rendering but it makes the desktop
virtually unusable.

Restarting compositing doesn't do anything, the situation doesn't change a
bit. The performance is not "bad," it is just choppy and annoying and
impossible to live with.

Now the question is, where do I post the bug?  Is it X-related? Is it
Kwin/KDE(what component)? Is it the sucky fglrx without the possibility of
workaround? I am willing to go through the necessary paces to debug this
issue, but I could really use some guidance from someone who has an actual
idea about this.

Also, when you say "use the Xorg driver. Seriously" are you referring to
the
open Radeon driver? Cause that has bad performance too. Rather similar to
fglrx, a bit worse.

Here is the glxinfo output: http://pastebin.com/EdSNQrEF

Thank you for your support.

Max