List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kwin direct rendering disabled on ATI
From:       Bogdan Maxim <bm () ancud ! de>
Date:       2011-04-01 12:14:02

Sorry for bothering you with menial problems, I tried the kde forum, the irc
channels as well as my distro's forum and couldn't get any information AT ALL.
In order to file a bug report I thought I first had to pinpoint  the component
that is malfunctioning, so this mailing list was basically the last resort. I
did not mean to misuse it.

Regarding your suggestions, none seem to work. Forcing direct rendering with
KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 does enable direct rendering but it makes the desktop
virtually unusable.

Restarting compositing doesn't do anything, the situation doesn't change a
bit. The performance is not "bad," it is just choppy and annoying and
impossible to live with.

Now the question is, where do I post the bug?  Is it X-related? Is it
Kwin/KDE(what component)? Is it the sucky fglrx without the possibility of a
workaround? I am willing to go through the necessary paces to debug this
issue, but I could really use some guidance from someone who has an actual
idea about this.

Also, when you say "use the Xorg driver. Seriously" are you referring to the
open Radeon driver? Cause that has bad performance too. Rather similar to
fglrx, a bit worse.

Here is the glxinfo output: http://pastebin.com/EdSNQrEF

Thank you for your support.

Max