List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Project: Window tabbing
From:       Lucas Murray <lmurray () undefinedfire ! com>
Date:       2009-03-11 5:12:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Jorge Mata <matamax123@gmail.com> wrote:
> For grouping windows it should be with the mouse like dragging a window
> to another, a menu to display add/remove from group options, or both?

Both and a keyboard shortcut. Be careful with the dragging though as you don't want accidental \
triggers.

> When grouping windows what should happen whit a window in full screen
> mode like a video play back and a smaller window?

If a grouped window requests its decoration to be removed it should also be removed from the \
group as it would no longer be possible to switch between tabs without a decoration (Although \
it would still be possible with a shortcut there should always be a visible method available \
for usability purposes). If an application uses its main window for fullscreening then there \
will be problems but I don't really see how we can work around this at a window manager's level \
without complicating things too much.

> In the task bar communication and when switching windows with alt-tab
> you mind something like display only the current window or all the
> windows in the group?

Lets just ignore the taskbar for now as it's just a distraction at the moment. For alt+tab we \
would want all windows to still be listed like they currently are by default but I guess \
there's nothing stopping us from adding Yet Another Setting for it as there are valid uses for \
grouped window switching (Gives me an idea for present windows...).

> I downloaded kwin's code and start to read it so I can get some ideas
> about the implementation, is there something I should do to prepare
> myself for the project?

If you can successfully compile a custom build of KWin then that's all you really need. For \
actual development there are two main choices: Develop is a branch on the KDE Subversion server \
or use Git. I'd personally prefer using Git as it makes it easier for me to test, help debug \
and collaborate with code but if you don't have any experience with it then it would be \
possible to get by just with Subversion. The main Git repository that Martin and myself are \
using is available at:

http://github.com/Zarin/kwin/network

Once you have been selected for a GSoC position if you want to develop in a Subversion branch \
you will need to get an account first by following the instructions listed at:

http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account

--

Lucas Murray :: http://www.undefinedfire.com
GPG Fingerprint: 0B88 499E 3F5B 1405 D952  258A AD90 B4F5 90B6 3534