List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] kwin performance (kde 3.2b2)
From:       aviv bergman <aviv_brg () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-01-19 12:56:04

> This conclusion would be true only if there was
always
>one setGeometry() call per one MotionNotify event,
which
> is not. Those additional calls are probably caused
by
> other events which are generated only with
owner_events
> True. Moreover, I don't see how processing twice as
> many setGeometry() calls can improve the situation,
> unless you have a very very fast machine, it should

i'll try to test the number of specific events/second,
but since with owner_event=True i get up to 125
setGeometry/sec, which is the usb mouse sampling rate,
i bet these are motion events - b.t.w., which other
events can cause setGeometry?

(i think fast/slow is wrong definition - handling more
events, even with high cpu usage, enable more redraws
and smoother animation - which translate to "fast")

> Anyway, could you try the attached patches, and see
> if they help? Some tweaking of LIMIT_PER_SEC in
> geometry.cpp might possibly help, in which case

i'll probably have time to test it only tomorrow, i'll
post the results then.

aviv