List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    "Align to grid" in office applications [was: Guides Insertor Docker]
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-15 21:32:21

2009/9/15 Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
> On Tuesday 15. September 2009 22.05.10 Jaroslaw S wrote:
>> To my knowledge it's statistically enabled in most apps. All office
>> apps of oo.org and mso IIRC.
>
> As OOo is a clone of MSOffice, I think thats exactly one example.
> Inkscape doesn't, KOffice1 didn't and I don't think we ever got a request to
> turn it on by default.
> Scribus doesn't either.
>
>> I, for one, always enable it, typical workflow require reasonable
>> positioning.
>
> I don't agree with changing the default, its fine that you turn it on with
> your first use if thats how you work.

Hmm, This is ridiculously strange that your expectations differ in
this area, so may I suggest more in depth analysis, and a call for
usage scenarios?
For example with the option turned off you cannot even create table
that is aligned to page boundary and create two boxes with text for a
diagram.
On the other hand, what's the gain from the turning the option down?

Let's dont compare koffice 1 to koffice 2, it's wrong example because
my note applies to koffice 1 too.
Scribus is not the same league and we know that. If I had to use such
comparison, I give you from your own company: Qt Designer. More
important, its defaulting to align-to-grid also affects defaults in
all kexi's designers, i.e. form and report designer.

I propose to reconsider the option, let it be based on survey or
opinion exert like Celeste, because we're here not to educate users
they've been in fatal mistake (oo.org + mso has the market share for
now) for 20+ years now.
Users you meet regularly may be way smarter, but my observations is
that the option is turned off, they usually wont even imagine there's
such an option and they will position shapes in an inaccurate manner
what will result in inferior quality of documents (layouts) coming
from koffice. Please note: in such case we have another factor that
can make the documents look worse.

To overcome the above issue, one would choose to implement "align to
control points/objects", but I rather doubt it can be delivered
anytime soon while there are more fundamental TODOs on the bugfix
list.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)