List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-21 11:35:09

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 10:55, janne.ojaniemi@nbl.fi wrote:
> In short: you can't start making demands what people can and can't say.
> Sure, you can say what they could say ON THIS LIST, since this list is an
> official tool of the project. But what if I started a web-forum, where
> people could have "unofficial" KDE-related discussions, would I then
> receive complaints from developers saying "Those discussions are wrong/bad
> because KDE does not benefit from them"?.

Potentially to wrap this discussion up a bit -- I can see no harm that could
possible come from creating a forum for such things.  In the best case, with
a couple of dedicated "forum wranglers" some of the ideas could eventually be
presented in a useful fashion in other places.  In the worst case, it's just
not read.  (Which is as you mentioned only detrimental in places where
something has the appearance of some tangible function within the project and
doesn't fulfill that.)

-Scott

--
If the answer is "more lawyers" then the question shouldn't have been asked.