List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-15 1:54:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 17:24, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Then why do you call such hackers "developers".  They are just Danil
> Dotsenko's type 1 coders -- they will never be real developers or
> software engineers.

these irrelevant personal judgment statements are simply not acceptable on
this list because it needlessly chases away developers and other contributors

pissing people off is a great way to alienate them, but not a great way to
work with them. walking up to someone and saying they'll never be a 'real
developer' is an excellent example of how to do that, in fact.

> And this is where the engineering culture and the hacker culture have
> the greatest conflict.

well, this is an open source project.

> An engineer would regard a report telling him
> exactly what was wrong with his project and how to fix it as help.
> OTOH, hackers seem to take this as a personal insult.

people tell us all the time what is wrong with our projects and how to fix it
and we usually tend to respond very well. so that's not the problem.

--
Aaron J. Seigo