List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       Janne Ojaniemi <janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi>
Date:       2006-03-14 18:56:13

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 20:48, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
> What I learned so far today:- Just forget about bothering the Kopete's
> team. They have their own twisted "priority list" and they are sticking to
> it. - Forget about having anything done for the 3.5.x tree, cause everyone
> seems to "well... lets implement this in 4.0. Yey! Yey!"

Well, there's the problem. Usability-problems usually involve the user
interface. And making big changes to the UI in a minor-release in a big
no-no. To be honest, I was surprised that Aarons patch that removes one of
the frames in Konqueror went in to 3.5.2. Not that I'm complaining (far far
from it), but I have grown accustomed that the UI stays more or less put in
minor releases, whereas bugs in the "background" get fixed.

So yes, changes to UI should be reserved to 4.0. Of course there are
exceptions (there always is), but that is the rule of thumb. So it's no
wonder that devs are hesitant to make big "usability improvements" to 3.5,
and I can't blame them.