List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Fwd: Re: Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle
From:       Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-30 8:41:30

On Wednesday 30 April 2014 10:17:23 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2014 23:20:21 Lisandro Dami=E1n Nicanor P=E9rez Meyer=
 wrote:
> > The result will be that we will need to freeze at some point and do our
> > best to keep up with patches for stable releases. Or maybe even drop KF5
> > for stable releases :-/
> =

> While I don't share the fatalistic point of Lisandro, I do agree that it
> brings potential problems. I do also expect a Debian to ship with a very
> patched-up set of KF5 packages.

For openSUSE it will definitely bring problems as that we wouldn't be able =
to =

release any maintenance updates anymore for the KDE Desktop with this Relea=
se =

Cycle.  As Sune indicated, if KF5 is updated then the other components like =

Plasma-Next and the Applications needs to be rebuild. This is not the curre=
nt =

setup of the openSUSE maintenance process, nor will this change just for KF=
5. =

This means that the only way for us is to start back-porting the bugfixes a=
nd =

release those as maintenance updates in order to provide a stable experienc=
e =

for our users. =

If the other components would select a similar Release Cycle, then this wou=
ld =

mean that the non-rolling distro's have to focus on a constant back-porting=
 of =

bug-fixes and we would not provide our users with newer functionality.  Thi=
s =

would eliminate the main goal that this Release Cycle is targeting (To =

introduce new functionality gradually) as that the main distributions would =

skip several KF5 releases before a new distribution version is released to =
the =

users. =

Seeing it more black and white, then indeed distributions might want to mak=
e =

the choice whether or not to include the KDE Desktop in their stable =

distributions releases and to find another way to provide a different way f=
or =

users to install it and having the rolling releases there.  But as indicate=
d =

in other emails, is this really the experience we want to give to our users=
 ? =

Regards

Raymond
openSUSE KDE Community Packaging Team