List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:45:04

On 02/18/2014 05:59 AM, David Edmundson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
>
> > Honestly, this rename should never have happened in the first place. The cost
> > to KDE is significant in terms of throwing away prior public communication and
> > the introduction of confusion. (This confusion is visible all over social
> > media right now..)
> >
> > In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make the
> > new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue because,
> > since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance work done to head
> > off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as seen today on Phoronix.
> >
> You need a name in order to build a community round something.
> Otherwise things get very confusing. Baloo needs a community. This is
> akin to the name Sonnet or Phonon.
>
> The term "baloo" does not appear in the UI anywhere, which is what the
> developer agreed to.
> Users won't see anything.
>
> David

Users will see the Dot article that is the basis of this thread. It's
not too much of a stretch to presume that users will also see the
Phoronix article "KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future". It's
almost certain that this idea will spread.

Consider the title..."KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future". It's
deceptive. This Baloo article says that the name "NEPOMUK" is being
retired. Substantial chunks of existing code are still being used. Thus
NEPOMUK itself is still in place. It does have a future.

NEPOMUK was the name of the EU-sponsored project. KDE had the most
visible implementation of it. More at:
http://dot.kde.org/2011/09/21/nepomuk-stability-and-performance
The PR value of that article is substantially diminished by changing the
name. The PR value of KDE being a leader in such an important and
long-anticipated technology is diminished.

Baloo has a community...KDE. That's not confusing at all. Baloo
continues a known function in KDE software...Semantic technology. The
Baloo work is similar to Sebastian's efforts to improve NEPOMUK
performance.

The decision to rename KDE's semantic technology needs to be
reconsidered. It should be done before this article is published.

I support keeping the name NEPOMUK. "KDE Nepomuk" has already been
through the trolling, flamebaiting, confusion, slashdot whining.

KDE is an innovative leader. Giving in to people's from-the-sidelines
complaints and snark is not what innovative leaders do.

Carl