List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Jens Reuterberg <jens () ohyran ! se>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:34:46

The issue with Baloo/Nepumuk and none-branding is that this is done under the
assumptions that people who are on the receiving end of a communication are
passive receptors for that information. Which isn't true.

I understand the wish to keep it "behind the scenes" but it hasn't worked.
Either you ignore naming it at all - calling it a long and bothering number
string signaling that this information is irrelevant OR you accept that
information can't be controlled like that - the receiver of information is
neither passive, nor a homogeneous crowd for which a blanket statement will
have the exact same intended effect.

Further considering the spread of information leaving it to a technical note
is perhaps admirable from an ideological stand-point (we don't care what you
think, this is the best tech never mind the communication) but in practice the
effects are devastating.
Nepomuk is a known name - Baloo as a term is noticed and we can either pretend
it didn't happen or accept it and roll with the punches a tad.

Personally I think this is a golden opportunity.

With the switch from Plasma to "Plasma Next" (or "Plasma by KDE" or just
"Plasma") we can start hammering in KDE's rather unique selling points.
Technological prowess. Attention to the backend stuff. An ascetic attitude to
visual to better benefit the practical side (even if that's not true, its
still a feasible selling point).

By using backend things and technical details as a hook for marketing we have
an already existing branding that is well know, well spread and well founded -
by making it publically accessible, actively try to work with explaining it or
rather explaining the emotional, soft values, behind them - we can make the
infospread of them a benefit instead of an issue.

Let the trolls have a field day - let them go insane in the forums. As long as
anyones slap-dash googling of the phrase leads to a lovelly infographic, a
short teaser trailer, a well written text and a positive message all the
trolls do is do our marketing for us. We shape the message and they blurt it
out.

Sry for wall-of-text