List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:20:57

On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:54:04 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:30:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make
> > the
> > new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue \
> > because, since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance \
> > work done to head off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as \
> > seen today on Phoronix.

This turn of phrase ("went back on") bothers me a little - to be blunt, it
seems unfair. From what I've seen of the discussions, Vishesh has tried to
work with promo on this and as far as I can see has kept to the (I thought
consensus) position that 'Baloo' replaced 'Nepomuk' as the means of
implementing semantic search.

It is possible I missed something here and am demonstrably wrong, in which
case my apologies.

> > The talk in this thread of creating a logo/icon for Baloo is wildly
> > misdirected as well. There is a logo/icon for "desktop search" in KDE
> > already. Swapping it out serves none of our users and works directly
> > against public communications continuity.
>
> I agree that Baloo shouldn't have any obvious branding other than the \
> search thing we already have.

Yep, we worked to make 'Nepomuk' somewhat invisible. Baloo should be no \
more  visible to the user. That was what I understood from Vishesh's \
earlier  comments.

In this particular case, there are some major things changing - it's a big
switch that might leave some applications currently needing Nepomuk. I'm \
not  sure it can be done completely unannounced, with no public change (in
name/terminology).  It could be done perhaps with a Nepomuk v1 versus \
Nepomuk  v2 kind of distinction (hey, maybe that would have been better). I \
too think  it's late for that now - particularly as the name Baloo is out \
there (from use  on the mailing list, apparently) - but I'm willing to be \
convinced.

[...]

> Meanwhile, I didn't think of anything horrible and still don't feel it is
> that bad *and* it seems nobody has hammered on this point yet - I suggest \
> we stick with it. Besides, in our communication we should indeed call it
> 'search' or 'semantic search' and nothing else anyway.
>
> How about we end this discussion, push out the article asap (vishesh, any
> input on things that were ported? the rest seems good to go).
>
> Huge thanks for Stu for his excellent editing.

Thanks. Is there anything else we should add/change? Any more emphasis that \
 things look very similar to the user after the change? I just made a quick \
 edit to change 'Nepomuk Team' early on to 'Semantic Search team' to try  \
and  emphasise the continuity and a few other minor changes.

I notice a reference to 'nepomukbaloomigrator', for transferring existing
semantic data between systems. I think this needs a little more info, even \
if  it is just along the lines of 'further guidance on migration will be \
provided  at the time of the 4.13 release' (i.e. does the user have to run \
it manually,  will it get run first time baloo launches - in which case we \
maybe don't  mention it at all and just say existing data are automatically \
migrated).

Cheers,
Stu