List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma Next promo material
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-17 15:37:37

On Monday 17 February 2014 15:40:14 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Saturday 15 February 2014 13:07:05 Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> > I will have to get going now (been working all morning and need a break)
> > but there are some rather interesting ideas for KF5 logos (sketches exists
> > we just need to pick three out) there is also a rather interesting debate
> > to be had with everyone in Promo concerning unification of visuals in PR
> > and marketing.

That's cool - I think an important part of this effort (and pushing on with the
'rebranding' from a few years ago now that we're /really/ separating stuff) is
strengthening the brands for Frameworks 5 and Plasma as distinct entities.

> > One idea for Plasma was to create a campaign using the hashtag
> > #PlasmaByKDE
> > to promote not only the CORRECT name and the difference between "KDE" and
> > "Plasma" but also to tie into emotional cues and soft values to better
> > promote Plasma instead of resting only on technical specs.
>
> Nice idea, yes.

+1

Another potential thing to think about is 'KDE'. We see this as the community,
the umbrella brand... But a lot of people still think 'K Desktop Environment'.
Can we perhaps start to tease out some other meanings for the letters? As one
(throw-away, from a couple of minutes of thought) example:

KDE: Know. Do. Explore.
(We know [lots of stuff about Qt, coding, free software], we do [we get it
done, don't just discuss it forever], we explore [we try new stuff and always
improve the software] - we are KDE)

I'm sure we can come up with something better, but how about we try to push
into 'KDE' values about what we, as a community, stand for? In usage, I'd be
thinking about some similar approach to use of Fedora's 4 'F's: Freedom,
Friends, Features, First [1] (not that I love that one, personally), but
something better could be used in our home page banners, about KDE pages
etc...

Cheers,
Stu

[1] See, e.g. bottom of home page: http://fedoraproject.org/