List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Àlex Fiestas <afiestas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-01-20 19:48:10

We were discussing this in the office and Vishesh is forcing me to send my
thoughts to the list... so here I come.

By an undetermined but big amount of users Nepomuk is considered a failure and
it hasn't been until 4.10 (Vishesh words, not mine) that Nepomuk has been
usable, meaning that it's been 1 year since some of our users are enjoying it
(as long as they don't use it together with akonadi) in contrast to the 4.5
years it has been unusable.

If we announce that Baloo is a continuation of Nepomuk all the users that have
not tried Nepomuk in the last year will apply the prejudices they acquired
during the first years of Nepomuk, resulting in them potentially not trying
Baloo.

Also, I personally think that publicly admitting failure while it might be
negative it also bring us the opportunity of publicly amending our mistake
(putting Nepomuk too early) and our way of amending the mistake is Baloo.

So, put it short I believe announcing Baloo as a "New start" has more short
and long term benefits.

Also, once the first announcement is done we should not have to mention Baloo
anymore since the idea is that Baloo will blend into the system in such a way
that users won't be able to know that they are even using it, which makes me
wonder if we need to announce Baloo at all. Desktop Search is a term I don't
like either since Baloo is not about searching.

Cheers !