List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-17 19:30:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 17 January 2014 19:08:57 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Friday 17 January 2014 09:19:40 Carl Symons wrote:
> > Hello Vishesh,
> >
> > Yes, there should definitely be a Dot article about this...all of the
> > Semantic Desktop components have been in the news for a long time. Your
> > efforts on Baloo should be publicized as well.
>
> Meh. I don't care about publicizing my efforts. I may contribute the most
> right now, but there are other contributors as well. It would not be
> correct to single out any one person.

Credit where it is due is healthy.

> > I can't work on this for the next few days. I will, after that.
> >
> > What do you think the timing should be? Is there some event/release that
> > will be notable? Has Baloo already been included in any of the recent
> > releases?
>
> It has never been released so far.
>
> There are no dates that I know of. Let's get this out as soon as possible.

I would like to suggest to publish this about two weeks before the release.
It will create a bit of a splash (good) and that can then carry over in the
release (even better).

> > Jos already provided some ideas about how to present Baloo.
> >
> > Whether Dot or blogpost? Both. The Dot article will have less detail
> > than you can provide on your blog. And the Dot article can point to your
> > blog for people who want more information.
>
> I'm not too sure what I'm going to write as a blog post.

Write a blog post about porting apps to Baloo, I would say. You have to write
that down anyway for the http://community.kde.org/Baloo page :D

> > In addition to the storylines you are developing on the etherpad, it
> > would be good to write something about KDE developers listening to
> > users. Nepomuk (and of course its various related functions) has been
> > the subject of many complaints. It would be good to hear your views on
> > this...did this enter into your Baloo thinking?
>
> Quite a bit. Too much maybe.
>
> When developing Nepomuk, we concentrated on hypothetical usecases from a
> developer's point of view, and build Nepomuk around developers. In fact
> untill 2011, the Nepomuk bug tracker was barely looked at.
>
> With Baloo, our current APIs have been kept to a bare minimum. We've just
> been focusing on making sure that the user experience is good, cause at
> the end of the day that's all that matters.
>
> Chosing one of the main storage mediums (Xapian) was also directly impacted
> from virtuoso. I did not want another black box where one has no idea what
> is going on and I get complaints that virtuoso is taking 169GB of storage
> (Yes, that actually happened). Xapian is C++ code, has a healthy open
> source community and is easy to modify.

And has a good reputation. Points for picking that, it will be an easy sell
;-)

Good suggestion from Carl to put some focus on this.

I will go in the etherpad and see if I can help out a bit. But I think we're
all pretty much on the same page in how to communicate this already - after
all, it's not the first time we talk, I remember you coming to me at a PIM
sprint more than a year ago :D

> > Good work on Baloo; good work on informing people about what Baloo is
> > about. Thank you.

Indeed.

Hugs,