List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: SelectionTool
From:       Sven Fischer <herpes () kawo2 ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       1999-08-24 14:55:57

Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 01:53:37PM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > And by the way, please keep in mind that a canvas can have several views and
> > each view can have a active selection. -> The views have to handle the
> > selections, not the document.
>
> I would like to have different selections for different layers, too. So
> yes, it would be the view which handles the selections, but depending on
> the document (layers).

That would mean that changing the active layer means changing the
selection too. That is at least unintuitive if you are not used to
it. My way of operating GIMP is to select the area I want to work with
and then to choose the layer the tool should have an effect on (often
enough after an undo step ;-). With your approach this would mean
selection->oh, wrong layer->choose correct layer->select again.

IMHO it should at least be possible to configure both ways of
selection. This should not be a problem, if the selection itself is a
class which is available either globally for all layers or
individually for each layer.

> > > I personally believe that we should wait until the canvas code has stabilized
> > > an drawing/layers/brushes have been made to work well.
> >
> > Yes, I second this. :-)
>
> Definitely :o)

Since I don't have any knowledge of the drawing/layers/brushes stuff I
could experiment a little with the selection things. Or does someone
want to teach me all the existing stuff? ;-)

cu Sven

--
  __
 /_. Sven Fischer - Kastanienweg 33, D-52074 Aachen, +49-(0)241-875173