List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: K3b - my apologies
From:       "Erik K. Pedersen" <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2004-01-27 15:00:13

Tirsdag 27 januar 2004 09:28   skrev Jeroen Wijnhout:
> The whole point of KEG is to be able to work independently from the KDE
> release schedule. Or am I not getting your point?

Yes indeed, and when a program is in KEG, scripty produces a pot-file for the
program, and I am stupid enough to think that if I translate the pot-file and
put the translated po-file in KEG, then MY translation will be part of the
next release for that program. I don't actually ever check this because i
compile and install my own translations, and the programs from KEG I use I
compile from cvs.

If various programs in KEG do not want to use our translations and/or have
their own translation teams, then I think we have to have a way for scripty
not to produce pot-files for those programs. And if external translations are
made for programs where the pot-files are in CVS, then I think those
translations should be put into CVS as well.

scripty only produces pot-files from KEG for the HEAD branch, so it seems to
me that if each program announces a reasonable freeze period, then the
authors of the programs should be able to make copies of those translations
that are complete for their releases. Right now we have a special situation
with scripty not running, but generally that is how it ought to be. You are
leaving open the possibility that i am siting here translating your program
to Danish, while you are having somebody else doing the same thing, without
telling me.

Erik