List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: about our attitude towards M$ windows
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-06-02 4:52:52

> > First off, I think that anything making a userland implementation of NFS
> > is a bit uh, stupid.
>
> In the next version you can disable it.

Well there are some aspects of NFS that could do with some sort of GUI
front end. I'm not too learned on the ways of RPC, but something to query
all the possible nfs servers on the local subnet.. and what FSs they're
offering could indeed be useful.  But a lot of the FS stuff (like
rumba/sharity lite for instance) could also be implemented via NFS.

> > An nfs "browser" to see what nfs mounts are perhaps,
> > but ew otherwise.  And have you made an attempt to support the various
> > styles of IPX networking?  I'd hate to see another Linux only program..
>
> I started support for novell netware, did you mean something like this ?The
> bad thing is, I can't test it, can somebody help me ?

Yes, well Netware (at least as far as I know) supports TCP/IP and IPX
networking.  But I'm reasonably sure that across FreeBSD, Solaris, and
Linux, there is no standard way of "accessing" IPX "sockets".

> > I don't know about detecting hosts running SMB servers, but kio_smb works
> > somewhat for me now, and is truely the right way to do something like
> > this.
>
> Surely a very stupid question: how do I use kio_smb, where do I find it ?I
> have no idea.

kio_smb is the SMB kioslave, that's in the HEAD branch, located in
kdebase/kioslave/smb.  This is IMO the right way to be doing virtual
filesystems for KDE, as this would not only provide a file browser, but
would also extend the ability to read files off of these shares to any KDE
app.

- alex

I thought felt your touch
In my car, on my clutch
But I guess it's just someone who felt a lot like I remember you.
  - Translator