List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: off-topic: need help with fork and Xlib error
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-01 14:08:35

Stefan van den Oord wrote:
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x2dd)!
> X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
>   Major opcode:  70
> zsh: abort      kbootsel
>
> (kbootsel is the program in which I called invokeHTMLHelp())
>
> So I tried what happens when I put the exit(1) directly after the
> fork() call (in the child), and that gave the same error.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. Who can help me?

(Extremely) Wild guess:
The child process inherits filedescriptors from the parent process
and when an error occurs they get closed(??). This includes the fd used
to communicate with the X-server. It could also be that the child
process reads some stuff from the X-server fd which confuses the
parent process.

Cheers,
Waldo
--