List:       kde-devel
Subject:    off-topic: need help with fork and Xlib error
From:       Stefan van den Oord <s.m.vandenoord () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       1999-06-01 13:39:37

Hi,

I'm trying to get KApplication to show a message box when kdehelp
cannot be executed. What happens in invokeHTMLHelp() is that first,
the process is forked, and then in the child an execl is called.
Because the execl calls a shell, it always succeeds. But I have to
change that. The only statement in the child _after_ execl is:

exit(1);

When I tried what happens when the execl fails (by giving the
location of a non-existing shell), I received the following runtime
error:

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x2dd)!
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode:  70
zsh: abort      kbootsel

(kbootsel is the program in which I called invokeHTMLHelp())

So I tried what happens when I put the exit(1) directly after the
fork() call (in the child), and that gave the same error.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. Who can help me?

Stefan

--
Stefan van den Oord
s.m.vandenoord@student.utwente.nl