List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: --enable-final
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1999-05-26 15:05:24

> On Wed, 26 May 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > Hmm, the c and c++ mixing is a tough one. I already thought about it,
> > but it's a tough one.
>
> Why is hard to filter out .c files and compile separately? Because of
> libtool?
Have you looked into how I do this whole crap? Just think of such a Makefile:

myprog_SOURCES = $(theone_sources) $(theother_sources)

> > The #define is no problem at all. But could you please explain to me
> > what #pragma implementation does?
>
> It basically does the Right Thing for libraries. A header foo.h describing
> an interface to something in the library is marked with
>
> #pragma interface
>
> This tells egcs that the class-definitions and stuff in the header is only
> an interface -- so code should be generated.
>
> One file bar.cc in the library should be marked with
>
> #pragma implementation "foo.h"
>
> This tells egcs that this file should hold the implementation stuff for
> classes defined in foo.h. Now things like non-inline versions of inline
> functions, vtables and such will only be generated in bar.o. If we dont
> use the #pragmas, this code will be in all files that #include <foo.h>.
>
> I think we should have #pragma interface/implementation all over kdelibs.
> I can do it tonight if you want. But i need extra stuff for
> --enable-final, because #pragma implementation is only allowed in toplevel
> files.

Aha. OK - the grep isn't the biggest problem as the code to generate
the .all.cpp file is in the Makefile anyway.

I would add a #define KDE_USE_FINAL as first line.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Stephan Kulow (coolo@kde.org)
detrever lleps ot ysae ylgnizama s'ti