List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Things to fix in KDE-1.1.1pre1
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-04-22 8:45:15

Duncan Haldane wrote:

> BTW, is there a fix in place for the lack of terminal privacy of konsole
> on 2.0.x  (2.0.36) kernels?   I have made kvt suid root to chown the tty
> and have utmp support, but in the past this wasnt there for kconsole.

Please reconsider making kvt suid root. I had a bug report concerning
this (bug 1172). The problem  disappeared when kvt was notsuid root,
which is a
situation I prefer anyway, since I don't know if kvt is so "safe".
To my opinion, suid programs should be designed to be suid, and I don't
know if kvt is.

Here  is some of  the bug report, maybe you can make something of it. If
you can fix it, go ahead and make kvt suid root, otherwise, please don't
and accept the missing utmp support.

Leon