List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-12 1:07:20

Christian Esken wrote:

> Donīt think about the GUI for now - Corba is a means to provide/share
> SERVICES amongst applications. Really useful would be if Empath offers
> his SERVICES to other applications. Services I can think of are
> - send out a mail (e.g. mail a kword document)

empath->send(RMessage *)
(Actually it's currently empath->mailSender()->sendOne(RMessage *) but
it'll change)

> - retrieve mails
EmpathMailbox::checkNewMail() checks for new mail, then passes any that
arrived to filters for processing.

> - show mails

empath->getMessage(EmpathURL & source, RMessageID & id) will get the
message with the given id from the mailbox given in the URL source.

> - Mail Folder access (list folders, list entries, get mail headers and body,

empath->mailboxList() gives you the mailbox list
EmpathMailbox::folderList() gives you the folder list
EmpathFolder::messageList() gives you a list of
EmpathMessageDescription, which hold lots of info about the message
(subject, sender, size, date etc).
empath->getEnvelopeOfMessage() (I think you get the idea)

>    search in mail bodys, ...)
Not yet done, but will be.

These rely on an Empath object existing. 'empath' is Empath::getEmpath()
in the style of KApp. Is that going to cause problems ?

Do you think I've done this right ? I tried to make all services
available from anywhere in the app. Will this translate well into
providing them via CORBA to external apps ?

> Another application profiting could be a generic folder manager that can
> access both mail and news folders - and then can do special searching
> operations on these folders.

That would be interesting. I just played with kexplorer (not to my taste
but a very nice app). It would be interesting if mailboxes were
represented as root items in its (/konqueror's) tree view, and folders
beneath. Could make reading mail quite different !

> Empath itself could profit from a spell checking component.

Yup. I was just going to use the current KSpell stuff.

> >Actually, I can see that KWord doesn't have your email/reply-to
> >addresses, and doesn't know your (supposedly system-wide) settings for
> >sending mail etc, but these could be gleaned from the Empath's rc file.
>
> No! This would be another service! Just offer a "lookup mail adresses"
> Service - or a CORBA-fied kab would do this service.

Ok, I was playing the idiot's advocate. I wasn't really suggesting these
things, just showing how it would have to be done currently, and asking
how CORBA would do it.

> Hopefully this helped a bit.

Yes, thanks.

> BTW: Torben has placed some CORBAfied tutorial applications in the CVS.
> Just take a look.

Will do.

Cheers,
Rik

--
http://without.netpedia.net
'Every centimetre one moves from an erroneous first principle takes one