List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-04-09 12:01:23

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Jo Dillon wrote:

> Rik Hemsley (rik@rikkus.demon.co.uk) spake thusly:
> > Making Vim an OpenPart would be excellent. So good in fact I'm robbing a
> > bank tomorrow and hiring a team of programmers with the proceeds.
>
>   A quick look at KSpread suggests that Emacs has already been made an
> Openpart (using its built-in support for remote control). Perhaps this
> might be a good start for looking at a text editor IDL?

No, KSpread's (X)Emacs support doesn't use any KOM and/or OpenParts
technology.

But in regard to a componentificated text editor I suggest having a look
at KWrite:
- KWrite is based on the document view model (making adaptions to
  OpenParts's document view model easier IMO)
- is seems to be very good (!) documented

I once thought seriously about making KWrite a set of nice components
(also in regard to a possible Konqueror integration) and I started writing
an IDL for it, maybe you're interested in it? (if it is not already lost
on my harddisk ;)

What does the KWrite author think of all this?

Greetings,
 Simon