List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-04-09 0:59:13

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> PERSONALLY, I would want to go the "other" way.  I would like to be able to
> embed other applications INTO Empath.  For instance, say I was to make Vim and
> OpenPart.  If Empath allowed for OpenPart editors, I could edit my documents
> using my favorite editor right in Empath itself!

Now that would be the salvation of the planet IMO. I did actually write
a nice editor app that I was going to try to plug Vim into as the back
end (or rather, use QtC and the KDE bit as a new front end to Vim).
Unfortunately, I've no idea how to do it.

Making Vim an OpenPart would be excellent. So good in fact I'm robbing a
bank tomorrow and hiring a team of programmers with the proceeds.

> Say, also, that I get a PDF attachment in my mail.  Instead of launching an
> external app, I would like to be able to view it right inside of my mail
> client.  An OpenPart encapsulating KGhostview would do just that.

What, then, is needed, is for someone who's actually done this already
to write down how to do it. I know for sure that even if I go buy a
couple of hefty CORBA books, I'd still struggle like mad when it
actually comes to implementing something like this.

Cheers,
Rik

--
http://without.netpedia.net