List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA in mail clients (was Re: CORBA Book)
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-08 23:36:22

Bavo De Ridder wrote:
> I can think of a much more powerful way of using CORBA in your apps. Embedding
> someone else his/her widget (KDE Komponent) is one way of using CORBA. What if
> your applications exposes a common object model, using CORBA ?
[snip]
> This is the way Microsoft is currently using COM in Office. Office 2000 will
> expose an object model (each single application). This gives you the
> opportunity to make an Excel spreadsheet in every language with a COM binding.
[snip]
> Isn't that something to think about.

Bavo,

PLEASE please look at KOM/OpenParts in kdelibs.  There are articles concerning
it that are linked from *somewhere* on www.kde.org (if you can't find them,
I'll send the links).

KOM/OP does *exactly* what you are describing.. and KOffice has been using it
to do that for quite some time now!

See http://www.mieterra.com/article/koffice.html for more detail

KDE 2.0 will be heavily based on KOM/OP...
--
Kurt Granroth
granroth@kde.org