List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Addressbook Database
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-04-08 12:15:17

> Peter, there might be more efficient ways to do this.
> I suggest to work on a generic server instead. All this
> server needs to do is to pipe the queries via stdout to
> a configurable program and to return the results.
>
> Such a construction would for example allow to hook
> a prolog or guile application in, which could be written
> for such a purpose much more simply then a c program
> since both languages are much better suited for symbol
> processing, rewriting and planning anyway. A prolog
> solution would take only a few hundred lines and one
> would have a database that is ways stronger then any
> sql dbms ever will become. And it would be text based
> since both prolog and scheme repositories are text based
> by their very nature.
>
> If you would come up with such a generic server (or
> a driver for it), i could add the parsing and db stuff
> pretty quick.
>
> This direction would have the additional advantage,
> that it would mean to define a database indepent
> _protocol_, fixing a huge disadvantage of the odbc
> construction itself, that requieres a different driver
> for every database though the whole construction
> only requieres to have one if they would have made
> a protocol instead.

Well, I am about 50% done with a 'traditional' approach to an ODBC Text File
driver... but I would like to know more about what you are proposing. Perhpas we
could take this one offline and hash it out a bit more to see if it is the best
solution.

Peter Harvey

BTW: I trust that your holidays were good.