List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Addressbook Database
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-04-06 18:29:27

> Hmm, from what I have seen ODBC seems a bit much for the average user. For
> example, I only have 20, maybe 30 addresses I want to store. To do this, I
> would need to download a driver manager, a driver, mySQL, kab (or what
> have you) and then compile/install/configure all of them! At that point I
> think I would rather just store them in a text file written with vi! I
> think we need to come up with a simpler solution. It might be nice to have
> ODBC support in KDE, but it seems like a lot of over kill for an address
> book.

If the usefullness for ODBC were to be evaluated one application at a time then
many people would probably find it a bit of overkill. When evaluated with all
of KDE in mind (many apps can use it) then it becomes much more usefull.

Add to this the idea that KDE, just like the O/S it is based upon, should be
scalable... I personally keep many more addresses than 30 and my Wife (the
ultimate test) keeps thousands of addresses (source for contruction materials
etc).

When address books get this large a work group tends to want to share them.
Again, ODBC is usefull for this.

And this is just the address book example...

Peter Harvey