List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Addressbook Database
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       1999-04-06 18:12:52

Hmm, from what I have seen ODBC seems a bit much for the average user. For
example, I only have 20, maybe 30 addresses I want to store. To do this, I
would need to download a driver manager, a driver, mySQL, kab (or what
have you) and then compile/install/configure all of them! At that point I
think I would rather just store them in a text file written with vi! I
think we need to come up with a simpler solution. It might be nice to have
ODBC support in KDE, but it seems like a lot of over kill for an address
book.

About the client/server thing, I would rather not have my addressboook
store on some machine on some network someplace that I don't administer.
If someone gets my information, thats one thing, but I am not going to be
responsible for giving out all of my contact's information! I like having
a local database that I control. I know I can run a ODBC server locally,
but it seems like a lot of over head. I don't understand why we can't find
a simpler solution, like gdbm (but not gdbm because of the license
thing), or a self written one, like Mirko's ConfigDB.

On another note, I grabbed the stuff needed to run the database, and it
was:

61440 Apr  6 11:30 libiodbc-2_50-1_i386-glibc2.tar
211459 Apr  6 11:28 libodbc++-0.1.1.tar.gz
3670856 Apr  6 11:31 mysql-3.22.21.tar.gz

This is fairly large in my opinion.

good day,
-mike