List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Addressbook Database
From:       Peter Harvey <pharvey () codebydesign ! com>
Date:       1999-04-06 16:20:58

Mike Pilone wrote:

> I saw that everyone is pushing ODBC as the database. I looked around and I
> couldn't really find a good reference for it. All I did find was that I
> had to download iODBC, libodbc++, MySQL. I don't really know how to set
> any of these up and I was wondering if there was something I missed. Is
> there a simple way to do this? I don't think we can expect a user to have
> to go through all this work just to use an addressbook application.
>
> Anyone who knows ODBC, could you comment on ease of use and a place to
> find some info on it. I'd like to play around with it and see if it is as
> good as everyone says.

---------------

Typical list of components required for using ODBC applications...

1. Driver Manager
2. Driver
3. Data Source (ie an SQL Server)
4. config files (a couple of ini files)

Additional requirements for building an ODBC application...

1. ODBC includes (usually come with DriverManager)

Additionnal requirements for building a driver....

1. libs and includes required to acccess the data source

-------------

Linux users currently have the following choices for...

1. Driver Manager

- iODBC
- unixODBC Driver Manager

2. Drivers

- there are many; is MySQL, mSQL, and PostgreSQL

-------------

Nice to have stuff...

1. Command line tools
- iODBC and unixODBC both have an isql tool
- unixODBC has a driver install helper

2. GUI tools
- unixODBC has a couple of Qt apps for this

3. C++ class lib (wrapper)
- a new ver of odbc++ has just been released (looks like JDBC)
- unixODBC Qt class lib yet to be released

NOTE: The iODBC (a Driver Manager) and the unixODBC Driver Manager are not
binary compatible at this time although this is a goal of both efforts.

Does this help?

Peter Harvey
http://www.genix.net/unixODBC