List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mmaping icons
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-02-14 14:12:43

Robert Hagemann wrote:

> Hi,
> <cite>
> > this daemon could put a special hidden window on the display that can be
> sent
> > X-events and then send X-event back with the handle of the pixmap. this
> would
> > not need any app-bloating rpc-mechanism and integrates neatly with X :))
> >
> > (and, of course, this daemon could be queried for different sizes, be a
> > raytracer and so on ;-)
> >
> Sounds neat. Any volunteers to start kpixmapcacherd? ;)
> </cite>
>
> I'm rather confused. I thought, CORBA is the way to go. So, why do You want
> have sth. like invisible windows. Which points contradict the usage of
> CORBA?

Well, CORBA can handle interprocess communication to all hosts, but we
need to be connected to the same X server. So even if you start some
apps
on the same host that are directed to different X servers, you need to
get them together. Maybe this can be done by CORBA in some way, but in
general you have to solve it somehow.

Greetings, Stephan

--
A big plus when your parents split up, is, that you don't
have to imagine them doing it again. * Mr. Rhodes